[Notes to my peeps: You'll notice my once-weekly blog distribution has changed from Thursdays to Mondays. However, I'm sending out next week's blog today, on a Thursday, so that you can incorporate these healthy recipe ideas into your Passover meal plan. Also, scroll to the bottom of this page for some great Israel/Passover inspiration (and non-vegan recipes) from The Israel Forever Foundation.]
Healthy Passover Recipes? Yes!
I thought Passover could be difficult being a vegetarian. That was a walk in the park compared to this, my first Pesach as a vegan. I see a lot of quinoa salads in my near future!
Although I will make a few interesting quinoa salads,I’m looking at the week as a great opportunity to incorporate healthy habits that I should follow the rest of the year (maybe I’ll do a little better though…):
1. Stay away from processed vegan foods (like the fake sour cream, cream cheese, and meats)
2. Be adventurous with vegetables!
3. Discover new vegan recipes that work well for family and holiday gatherings.
In addition, I’m excited to try Mayim Bialik’s Passover egg replacer recipe. I’ve been scouring the earth for one! 1 egg = 2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp oil + 2 tsp baking powder
I found this recipe for vegan cream cheese and this one for vegan sour cream, both from Leanne Vogel over at www.healthfulpursuit.com.
I was excited to discover that my favorite Susie Fishbein Pesach cookbook actually contains a decent number of vegan recipes. I already love my Nava Atlas Vegan Holiday cookbook (she includes American, Christian and Jewish holidays). Then, of course, there’s the internet!
Here are a few of the resources I’m using for recipes. I’m sure I’ll come up with some of my own recipes during Passover week, which I will dutifully record for next year! In the meantime, I’m using others as a jumping off point.
- From the aforementioned cookbook author, Nava Atlas. Recipes include Passover Pineapple Crumble, Passover Carrot-Apple Pudding, Passover Mock Chopped Liver. Go to http://www.vegkitchen.com/?s=passover for these and more!
- I just bought the new Mayim Bialik cookbook. However, it is only specifically vegan and family-friendly, not for Passover. Kveller has put together some of her vegan passover recipes. Mini Potato Kugels, Eggplant Casserole and Chocolate Truffle Pie. And here is the link to the entire page: http://www.kveller.com/mayim-bialik/vegan-kosher-for-passover-recipes/
- This page from Pinterest has many great ideas/links/recipes, including, Rainbow Pommes Anna, Raw Chocolate and Orange Jaffa Torte, and Raw Carrot, Beet and Apple Salad.
Please let me know if you make any of these or if you have other fun vegan/healthy recipes I should try.
For additional recipes and Israel/Passover inspiration, click on the links below!
From The Israel Forever Foundation