If you think you’re too busy to create a 100% healthful, plant-based, gluten-free dinner, I have the solution for you! This vegan, gluten-free, healthy Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup is just what you are looking for. It is very forgiving and open to your specific spice preferences. Like curry more than the usual American savory? Just switch up the spices.
In addition, if you want a Shabbat day hot meal but you are tired of cholent or someone in your family doesn’t love it, here you go! Slow cooker split pea soup is your new option.
- 1 bag split peas (yellow or green), rinsed and picked over
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 quart water
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled & diced
- 1 large onion, diced (or 4 Dorot sauteed onion cubes)
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- Optional: 1 piece kombu to increase legume digestion
- Spices: Go to town on spices of your choice, such as
- dried thyme
- no-salt seasoning such as Simply Organic Spice Right All-purpose Salt-free seasoning blend (http://amzn.to/2qD5Iyg)
- dried basil
- minced or dried ginger
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker/crock pot.
- Turn on high for approximately 4-6 hours.
- Remove Kombu and bay leaves.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup, but leave a little texture to it.
- Turn to low and leave the soup to cook until you are ready to eat.
- If you are making it for Shabbat day, cook it on low overnight and don't worry about blending it before serving.
I highly recommend the salt-free spice mix mentioned in the recipe.
Get it here http://amzn.to/2CQGG3M Simply Organic Spice Right All-purpose Salt-Free seasoning Blend
Let me know how it goes!