Who wants a super easy Super Bowl snack that feels quite naughty, but actually isn’t too bad for you, especially compared to the usual fare? I do!
(If you received this by email, you’ll see all the photos and images if you view it online).
If you keep kosher, this also solves the conundrum about whether to make your Super Bowl party milchig (dairy) or fleishig (meat). This recipe is parve (can be served with milk or meat).
Any good vegan nacho bar needs vegan nacho cheese. If you want to purchase one, this is what I get from my local store (Shalom’s) and also from health food stores.
Here is the recipe for my homemade vegan nacho cheese (also used in the recipe for my enchilada casserole – another dish great for a crowd):
(Each batch makes 2 cups)
1 cup cashews, soaked in water for at least an hour
1 roasted red pepper (can be from a jar!)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup almond milk
Put all ingredients into a blender and blend. Done!
Here is the Vegan Nacho Bar Recipe.
- 1 container Wayfare Nacho Cheese (or try my recipe for vegan nacho cheese)
- 2 cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small can Jalapenos1 jar Salsa
- 2 Avocados
- Guacamole (Avocado + Salsa)
- Vegan Chorizo (I like the Upton brand but there are many choices)
- Chili Cheese Dip (Cheese + Black Beans + Salsa)
- Tortilla Chips (Baked Bean chips are the best choice)
- Open, drain and rinse black beans. Place 1 can in small serving bowl.
- Dice red pepper and place in small serving bowl.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, lengthwise and place in small serving bowl.
- Drain can of jalapenos and place in small serving bowl.
- Pour ½ cup salsa into small serving bowl.
- To make the guacamole: Combine 1 avocado with ¼ cup salsa, Mash with a fork. Place in small serving bowl. Dice the other avocado and place in small serving bowl.
- Warm the chorizo in a non-stick pan on the stove top. You can also microwave it but it will taste better if you cook it on the stove. (If you're feeling adventurous you can add some of it to the chili cheese sauce.) Place in serving bowl.
- To make the chili cheese sauce: Take half of the Wayfare cheese and combine in a microwave-safe bowl with ¼ cup salsa and 1 can beans. Heat for 2 minutes, mix, taste, and see if you want to add more salsa. Place in a serving dish at the last minute because you may need to warm it up again before serving.
- Melt the other half of the Wayfare container in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave. Start with 1 minute, mix, and then see if it needs 30 more seconds. Do this at the last minute because cheese will harden when it cools. You want it very melty.
- Place your chips in a big serving bowl.
- Make a plate and dig in!
These are great chips!